Print Print    Close Close

Judge says feds can seize San Bernardino terrorist's life insurance money

Published July 05, 2017

Associated Press

A judge says the government can seize money from life insurance policies taken out by a shooter in the San Bernardino, California, terrorist attack.

Syed Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, died in a shootout with authorities last December after they shot and killed 14 people at a government building.

Farook's mother was named as beneficiary for $275,000 worth of policies purchased several years before the attack.

Federal prosecutors sued to seize the money on grounds that assets derived from terrorism are subject to forfeiture. Authorities want the money to go to surviving victims and families of the dead.

The Riverside Press-Enterprise reports that a federal judge ruled last week that the benefits are subject to seizure, although the forfeiture can still be disputed.

Print Print    Close Close

URL

https://www.foxnews.com/us/judge-says-feds-can-seize-san-bernardino-terrorists-life-insurance-money

  • Home
  • Video
  • Politics
  • U.S.
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Sports
  • Weather
  • Privacy
  • Terms

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by LSEG. Do Not Sell my Personal Information - New Terms of Use - FAQ