Print Print    Close Close

WHO advisory board member: I'm a progressive Dem who was called a 'right-wing nut' over Wuhan lab leak theory

By Nikolas Lanum

Published June 09, 2021

Fox News
WHO advisory board member: I was called a ‘conspiracy theorist’ and ‘right wing nut’ for posing Wuhan lab leak theory Video

An advisory board member to the World Health Organization said Wednesday he was labeled a "conspiracy theorist" and "right-wing nut job" by the media and members of the scientific community last year after posing the theory that COVID-19 may have leaked from the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

"The small number of people who were raising this issue early last year were labeled conspiracy theorists—I know because I was one of them," said Jamie Metzl during an appearance on "Fox & Friends."

"And yes there were some people who were called right-wing nuts. But I’m not a right-wing nut. I’m actually a progressive Democrat."

CHINA'S 'MASSIVE COVER-UP' ON COVID STILL HAPPENING: WHO ADVISORY BOARD MEMBER

Members of the scientific community, including EcoHealth Alliance President Peter Daszak, attempted to shut down "conspiracy theorists" last year.

Daszak spearheaded a letter in The Lancet signed by 27 scientists in 2020 that "strongly condemn[ed] conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin," without disclosing to readers that Daszak's group had funded coronavirus research at the Wuhan lab through government grants.

The letter was subsequently utilized by members of the media to fact-check claims that asserted COVID-19 may not have been of natural origin.

Politics needs to be ‘removed’ from COVID-19 origins investigation: WHO advisory board member Video

Yet, since the publication of the letter three of the signers have since said a laboratory accident is plausible enough to merit consideration, according to Glenn Kessler of the Washington Post. 

Metzl said he considered the letter to be an "outrage."

"It was not data-driven science—it was scientific propaganda and thuggery."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Metzl has since asked editor-in-chief of the Lancet, Richard Horton, to step down.

The WHO advisory board member added that he doesn’t consider the question of COVID-19’s origins a right-wing or left-wing issue and urged people to just look at the data and "be honest."

Nikolas Lanum is a Video Editor for Fox News Digital.

Print Print    Close Close

URL

https://www.foxnews.com/media/who-advisory-board-member-right-wing-nut-job-conspiracy-theorist-wuhan-lab-leak-theory-covid

  • Home
  • Video
  • Politics
  • U.S.
  • Opinion
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • Sports
  • Weather
  • Privacy
  • Terms

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. © FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset. Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions. Legal Statement. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by LSEG. Do Not Sell my Personal Information - New Terms of Use - FAQ